With the COVID vaccine being distributed through the United States, many people have developed questions and concerns about whether or not the vaccine will be useful. Here are a few facts that the team here at Discovery Genomics, Inc. had gathered based on information from the CDC, to help the community to address those questions:
1. Even after getting the vaccine, the body takes a few weeks to build immunity. This means that a person who is exposed to COVID just before or just after getting the vaccination can still get sick.
2. None of the authorized COVID vaccines contain the live virus. This means that the COVID vaccine will not make you sick with COVID.
3. The COVID vaccine will not cause you to test positive on COVID viral tests – which determine whether or not you have a current infection.
4. As a result of the health risks associated with COVID, even if you’ve had, and recovered from COVID, you should still get the vaccination.
5. Getting the COVID vaccine will not change or alter your DNA.
6. After receiving the COVID vaccine, you may experience side effects that feel like flu symptoms. These side effects should only last a few days.
7. The vaccination is being distributed first to healthcare professionals and residents of long-term care facilities.
8. All COVID vaccines that have, or are being considered for authorization have been carefully evaluated through clinical trials.
9. There are currently 2 COVID vaccines that are authorized to prevent COVID. Both of these vaccines require two shots to get the most protective
· Pfizer-BioNTech COVID vaccine
· Moderna’s COVID vaccine
10. There are 3 COVID vaccines in the United States that have planned or are in progress with clinical trials:
· AstraZeneca’s COVID vaccine
· Janssen’s COVID vaccine
· Novavax’s COVID vaccine
“8 Things to Know about the U.S. COVID Vaccination Program.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
“Different COVID Vaccines.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Written By: Gabrielle Johnson . Jan 11, 2021